Friday, October 13, 2017

Happy Friday the 13th!!

Hello!! Jennalee here today, wishing you a Happy Friday the 13th!! I know many find Friday the 13th a day full of mystery and superstition. For me, I like to think of it as a day of luck. Fun Fact: I was born on a Friday the 13th. My mom has always said that it brings luck for those born on that day. 

I wanted to make something Halloween, but I just haven't been in a Halloween mood this year. So when I was digging thru the Tim Holtz Idea-ology Halloween Ephemera pack I found a few bits with my fave number on it. Inspiration struck!! 


This is quick project with some fun details. 


I started with the Composition Book from the Halloween Bookboard Baseboards
I love these Baseboards, they are the perfect base for an assemblage project. 


Here are the pieces I pulled out of the Halloween Ephemera Pack. These Ephemera packs are jam-packed full of vintage goodness!! 


If you know me then you know I sneak in a bit of messy stitching whenever possible. I followed along the lines of the bingo card with a straight stitch and filled in the "free" space with lots of stitches. On the Lotto card, I stitched around the perimeter of the frame and randomly chose 3 spaces to fill in. I left the threads hanging they offer an added texture to the piece. 



I used Distress Collage Medium to adhere everything to the Bookboard. Confession, I'm pretty new to Distress Collage Medium and I LOVE it!! The consistency is just dreamy and it perfectly adheres things even 3D elements like the Vials and rose. 



I filled two vials (one not pictured here) with glitter or "Luck" and tied some black and white baker's twine around the top. 




I love adding a Character Construction doll to my projects whenever possible. This girl from the Paris Flea Collection was the perfect fit. The Stamp Platform is one of my favorite new toys and makes detailed stamping SO much easier. 



I really enjoy stamping onto a piece of vintage book text that has had a couple layers of gesso added. I add 2-3 thin layers of gesso and heat dry. It provides a nice texture and the book text peeking thru adds some unexpected detail. 


After I stamped and colored my doll with watercolors and colored pencil I used the die cut made especially for this doll. The dies for these dolls make cutting them out a breeze. Oh and don't worry that her bodice isn't fully stamped we'll take care of that. 



Using an Embossing Dauber and Salted Wine embossing powder I heat embossed the bodice. Salted Wine is such a gorgeous Fall color and complimented the orange and black. 


To finish off the piece I adhered the Character Construction Doll to the background collage and topped the piece off with an Idea-ology Hanger. 





Thanks for stopping by and spending a few minutes with me today!! I hope you enjoyed this quick tutorial. I would love to hear which side of the fence you fall on when it comes to Friday the 13th!! 
~Happy Creating Jennalee 
















4 comments:

  1. Jennalee this is awesome. I love all the layering and the spider web is very cool Thank you for sharing this step by step tutorial. Again I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this piece, Jennalee. I appreciate your 'tricks'too. I will definitely be trying the gesso on text very soon...love that look. Thank you for the inspiration♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous Jennalee!! I want some of this distress collage medium as well as some other fun things! I really love the tutorial and will definitely use it soon! Happy Friday the 13th!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always love your work! So fantastic!

    ReplyDelete