Friday, September 8, 2017

Altered Composition Books Featuring Character Constructions

Hello!! Jennalee here today. I am so excited to share with you my first post for the brand new
 My Rusty Crown blog!! 

Does your heart skip a beat when you see the school supplies hit the shelves? Brand new notebooks and crayons still take my breath away. There is just something so classic about a black and white Composition Book. The promise of all those blank pages. 

A basic inexpensive Composition Book is where this project started. But I amped them up with the help of some my favorite Character Construction stamps and dies.  




For this first book I used the Paris Flea No.1 Stamp Set


 I stamped the Paris Flea girl onto vintage dictionary paper and colored with the Paris Flea No. 1 Die 
I cut out the doll. Using the same die I cut the doll shape from a piece of scrapbook paper. I trimmed to size for the doll's bodice. 

Using the crown and heart necklace from the Paris Flea No. 1 Die. I stamped and embossed each piece and used an exacto knife to cut out all the small pieces. 

For the base of the doll I die cut a dress form using Tim Holt's Sewing Room die. I of course snuck in some messy stitching on the skirt piece. 

On the spine of the book I adhered a piece of vintage dictionary paper, and ran a length of pom pom trim town the front cover only. I added a "Noted" label in the bottom right corner and a messy stitched corner detail to the upper right corner. 






Book #2 features one of my very favorite Character Construction stamps the 

To start I lightly sanded the front cover of this pink and white polka dot notebook. I then stitched down an Ex Libris book plate cut from a piece of scrapbook paper. 



I stamped the bebe doll onto a vintage dictionary page and colored with soft pastels. 
I then took a needle and poked the holes of her corset. Using a thick craft thread I hand sewed her corset lacing. To finish off this quick and simple book I added a black bow to spine. 





Book #3 is full of vintage charm and showcases the French Laundry No. 6 Die 



To begin cover the inner pages with parchment paper to protect them from the wet mediums that will be added. Using a variety of book pages collage both the front and back covers using Matte Medium. 


After Matte Medium has dried add a layer of gesso to both covers using a palette knife. I like to add a couple layers of gesso, allowing each layer to dry. Adding thin layers builds up texture. 



Once the gesso is dry add some aging with Distress Oxide. I used Antique Linen and Vintage Photo. I
simply swiped the ink pad across the cover. To activate the Oxide effect lightly spray your cover, taking care not to saturate it. Heat set the Oxides. 



With French Laundry No. 6 Die die cut skirt from a piece of resin paper. Using a contrasting piece of book text line the back of die cut skirt. To attach messy stitch die cut to background piece. Stitch on a piece of black ribbon as a belt and add a button. 



For the background remove the top layer on a piece of cardboard to reveal the corrugation. Layer the lace piece and cardboard on book cover and stitch down. Using Matte Medium adhere the skirt on top of cardboard piece. Add a small number sticker from Tim Holtz's Idea-ology Clippings Stickers.


To finish the spine attach a length of lace along collaged edge. Finish off by adding a label plate and stamping out "Notes" with mini alphabet stamps. 



Add messy stitching to the top and bottom corners.


I had so much altering these simple Composition Books. They will be the perfect place to write all of my crafty to do lists and dreams. 

If you pick up a couple of books for yourself stop by the My Rusty Crown Inspiration group and share with us!! 

Thanks so much for stopping by. Happy Crafting ~ Jennalee 







12 comments:

  1. Beautiful books! I love school supplies. This makes them even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out amazing! I especially love the french laundry one with all its glorious layers. What a treat to have a notebook like this at the ready for project ideas. Thanks so much for the step by step, definitely inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ann!! The French Laundry is my favorite too. If you give the altered composition books a try I would Love to see them!!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! Thank you for the tutorial, this is exactly what I need to help me with learning what mediums to use and when!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin!! Glad I could help give you a better idea on how to use the mediums.

      Delete
  4. These are outstanding Jennalee. I love school supplies and where I live the composition book are only .25. Woo Hoo. I just love Character Constructions stuff. Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO much Martina!! I definitely need to go stock up on some clearance composition books. Character Constructions is at the top of my artsy supply list.

      Delete
  5. Great tutorial! September always feels like a fresh start to me, so these are perfect projects to try! I adore the handseen lacing on the corset - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie!! I love September too. The sneaking in of Fall is always so refreshing. Although it is taking it's sweet time this year.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynda!! Hope you try out some notebooks for yourself!!

      Delete